SLUG BAIT IS POISONOUS TO PETS

 

SYMPTOMS INCLUDE:

1. Tremors, seizures and shaking.

2. Vomiting, hyper-salivation.

3. Rapid heart rate.

4. Abdominal pain.

Slug bait contains a chemical called 'metaldehyde,' and dogs are attracted to the taste of the mixture. Ingestion of just 2 ounces by a 22 - pound dog will induce signs in one hour or less.

Many dogs die of Slug Bait Poisoning!

 

Try Non-chemical slug bait recommended by gardeners.

1. Diatomaceous Earth: made from fossilized remains of one-celled algae. It feels like talcum powder but scratched and absorbs the wax layer on a bug's surface, leaving it to die from dehydration.

2. Fermenting Liquid: set out shallow container of yeast, water and spoiled yogurt or beer, bury the container flush with the soil surface. Slugs love the scent of the yeast.

Brought to you by the OVMS's Public Relations Program - May 1999

If you have any questions please e-mail. Kns@crossroadsvet.com or Kbj@crossroadsvet.com